Last Updated on
Large sized dogs need their snuggle space too. That’s why it’s important to take your time when crate shopping to ensure you find the best large dog crate that offers features perfect for your pup.
With large dog breeds, even extra large fellas like those Great Danes and Mastiffs, there are certain qualities to keep in mind that make choosing a solid crate imperative (ahem, physical strength).
That’s why we’ve created a post to help you understand the extra large dog crate market from bottom to top. You’ll learn how to make mindful choices, what sets crates apart, the features that you absolutely need and how to decide on the perfect size.
We’ll do you one better, doggie comrades! We’ve done the research and listed 30 large and extra large dog crates on the market that we feel offer pet owners amazing quality at fair prices.
It’s time to get caged!
Contents & Quick Navigation
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Large Dog Crate
Just like you, your doggo is a beautiful, unique little snowflake. No single crate fits the needs of all. The first step for crate shopping is brainstorming questions such as: why do I want a crate?
Don’t overlook these 5 factors:
1. The physical
How big is your dog? This is one of the most important factors when choosing the right crate. Otherwise, if it’s too small, she won’t be comfortable and may develop negative feelings towards it.
If it’s too big, she may turn a corner of the kennel into her own indoor toilet. Check out our size guide if you need help.
2. The dog age
Are you planning on buying a crate for a puppy? With a small pup, you can save money by investing in a large crate that comes with a divider. This is a hard panel that allows you to section the crate.
That way, your puppy can grow with the same crate and you can keep giving her more space as necessary without having to buy larger kennels down the road.
3. Temperament & behavior
If your dog suffers from separation anxiety or claustrophobia, You’ll want to take great care. Stress can lead to destructive behavior and your dog might become dead-set on escaping.
Believe it or not, when left to their own devices for long periods of time, some determined doggos can open locks and bust through wire without a problem. A heavy duty crate for large dogs is one way to thwart this behavior.
4. The climate
Do you live in the hot tropics or the cool North? Whatever the climate may be, remember that your dog will spend ample time enclosed in a box. Some crates are better insulated than others.
For example, an open wire crate offers more ventilation than a hard plastic crate with air holes.
If you plan on flying with your large dog, keep in mind that if she weighs over 20 lbs, she will be required to travel in cargo. For cargo, a hard plastic crate is mandatory.
There are many other requirements outlined by IATA when it comes to the best airline approved pet carrier. Make sure you follow up with your airline company beforehand to avoid any complications.
Decide What Type of Crate You Want
There are tons of gorgeous kennels to choose from. Overall, they’ll fall under soft crates or hard crates. These are the main types we will review and rate.
- Wire metal crates: This type of crate is usually less expensive than other materials. They come in large and extra large dog sizes too. Wired crates are recommended for crate training puppies and big dogs with a mild-mannered temperament, but not for dogs that like to escape.
- Plastic crates: This type of crate is highly durable, yet less ventilated than wire crates. It’s important to ensure there are air holes on all sides of the kennel. This type of crate is required if you plan to fly.
- Heavy duty crates: This type of crate is more expensive, but offers an indestructible kennel designed to accommodate destructive or escape artist dogs.
- Soft-sided crates: features fabric soft sides supported by a wire frame. If you’re an avid outdoors person that likes to bring Fido along for the hike or camping trip, this kennel is built for lightweight convenience, comfort and easy fold-up portability.
- Fashion crates: This type is all about style. It is made from wood or wicker in a tasteful design to complement your home. Some of these crates double as an end table or other pieces of furniture. There are even beautiful outdoor wooden dog houses that let your pup relax outside in their own den. They are not recommended for crate training or destructive dogs.
Here’s a video that showcases some common types of crates.
Don’t forget the features
It’s the little things that can sometimes make a blase crate extra-great. In our opinion, these are the most useful features that make owning a large dog crate easier.
- Wheels for efficient portability that detach and lock into place
- A carrying handle for easy transportation
- Plastic divider to sanction space in a crate for puppies that will grow into large dogs
- Extra locks on doors for heavy duty crates
- Plastic or metal pan that slides underneath a wire or metal bar crate for easy clean-up
- Storage pockets on soft-sided crates for supplies.
Which Breeds Need a Big Boy Crate?
Small dog crates are one thing, but large dogs need a crate that can handle their strength and size, especially XL sized dogs.
Is Your Dog a Large Size Breed?
If your dog weighs between 71 to 90 lbs (32 to 40 kg) and ranges from 23 to 26 inches (58 to 66 cm) in height, then we recommend a 42 inches (107cm) dog crate as the best size.
These popular breeds are a good fit for Large size crate
|Airedale Terrier||Boxer||Ibizan Hound|
|American Bulldog||Briard||Irish Setter|
|Australian Shepherd||Chesapeake Bay Retriever||Irish Water Spaniel|
|Bearded Collie||Dalmatian||Labrador Retriever|
|Belgian Malinois||English Setter||Rhodesian/Thai Ridgeback|
|Belgian Sheepdog||German Shepherd||Saluki|
|Belgian Tervuren||Golden Retriever||Samoyed|
|Border Collie||Gordon Setter||Poodle (Standard)|
Available dimensions for large dog crates
- 42″ L x 28″ W x 30″ H
- 42″ L x 28″ W x 31″ H
- 42″ L x 29″ W x 31″ H
- 42” L x 21” W x 30” H
- 43″ L x 28.5″ W x 30.25″ H
- 43” L x 28.25” W x 31.5”H
- 43.25” L x 29.25” W x 30.5” H
- 43.25” L x 28.25” W x 30.25” H
Is Your Dog an XL Size breed?
If your dog weighs between 91 to 110 lbs (41 to 49 kg) and ranges from 26 to 28 inches (66 to 71 cm) in height, then we recommend a 48 inches (122 cm) dog crate as the best size.
These popular breeds are a good fit for XL size crate
|Afghan Hound||Bullmastiff||Old English Sheepdog|
|Alaskan Malamute||Doberman Pinscher||Pointer|
|Bernese Mountain Dog||Giant Schnauzer||Rottweiler|
|Bouvier Des Flandres||Komondor||Tervueren|
Available crate dimensions for extra large dog crates
- 48″ L x 29″ W x 32” H
- 48” L x 30” W x 32” H
- 48” L x 30” W x 33” H
- 48.75″ L x 30.25″ W x 32.25″ H
- 49.75″ L x 30.25″ W x 32.25″ H
- 48.75″ L x 30.875″ W x 32.25″ H
- 49″ L x 30″ W x 35″ H
Here are Our Top 30 Large & Extra Large Dog Crates for 2019
Heavy Duty Crates
Keep in mind that soft sided crates are recommended for travel and well-trained adult dogs. They aren’t geared towards crate training or escape doggies.
Conclusion: The Kings of the Large Dog Crates
Finding the perfect large dog crate all boils down to what suits the needs of you and your fur baby. We gave you a long list of reputable crates to get you started. Now, let us leave you with our No. 1 favorites for each category.
The Midwest Homes For Pets Dog Crate is a long-time favorite, constantly ranking at the top as a quality wire crate. It’s a good all-around option whether you’re looking to crate train or need a reliable option for a puppy or adult with the perfect amount of useful features.
When it comes to heavy-duty crates the LUCKUP Heavy Duty Large Dog Cage is a winner. Its unique design of solid aluminum walls, a single metal wire door, and heavy lock make it difficult for avid chewers and escapees to have any loose bars, space or knobs to work with.
Travel has never been easier with the EliteField 3-Door Folding Soft Dog Crate, which is a durable soft large dog crate that is lightweight, well-ventilated and folds up like a dream.
For plastic crates, the Petmate Sky Kennel meets most airline requirements for flying and is known for its excellent quality craftsmanship.
Finally, the Merry Pet 2-in-1 Configurable Pet Crate is a beauty if you’re into a stylish large dog fashion crate. The beautiful wood finish adds an elegant touch to any living room.