This page contains affiliate links. We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post through our independently chosen links, which earn us a commission. Learn More
Some furballs love spending time outside, even if it’s chilly. As loving owners, we want to provide a comfortable place that they can go to cozy up. That’s where a warming mat can help.
We’re here to give you some of the best dog heating pads so you’ll have options on what to get your canine friend. You’ll surely find one that’s suited for your pet’s size, age, and need.
Here’s a glimpse of our top 5 recommendations of the best dog heating pads:
Contents & Quick Navigation
What is a dog heating pad and how does it work?
It’s any kind of pad or mat that’s designed to keep our pets warm. Not only during the winter season but also for different conditions.
You can use a heating mat to avoid newborn puppies from getting cold. It can also give comfort to those who are ill and recovering from injury.
Did you know that when the temperature is cold and humid, it directly discomforts pets? Not only those with joint issues like arthritis but also senior dogs. The heat that the pads provide serves as physical therapy for them. It reduces muscle soreness, relieves muscle aches, and improves blood circulation.
Believe it or not, pets experience hypothermia, just like humans.
If they’re exposed to dangerously cold temperatures, they’d no longer be able to maintain their normal body heat, and it can lead to shivering, weakness, trouble breathing, faint heartbeat, and so forth – depending on the severity.
Also, if you already have a dog house heater for your pooch, it isn’t safe and practical to keep it moving to wherever your dog goes. A heated dog pad is a pet accessory that’s easy to move and place indoor and outdoor.
Types of heating mats for dogs
You can find warming pads that are electric or self-warming.
An electric dog heating pad is the kind that you have to plug into an outlet. Most of these have heating elements inside where you can warm up the mat to a temperature you want with a control.
The self-warming mats may not be as effective for keeping your pooch toasty warm, but it works. Manufacturers use various materials so that the pad can retain the heat of your pet. It basically uses your four-legged friend’s own heat to warm her up.
Are dog heating pads safe?
It will depend on the quality of the warming mat and whether it’s properly used. After all, any device or tool that you can plug into an outlet can’t guarantee that it’s 100% safe. Factors like a slight malfunction, overheating, or catching fire are some of the risks any owner should watch out for.
What we can do is carefully follow the instructions that came with the product. One obvious precaution is unplugging electric devices whenever you’re leaving the house or before going to bed.
Under normal conditions, pet heating mats are not harmful.
Watch this video and listen to the tips that this vet has about heated dog pads:
What you should look for in dog warming mats
Anyone interested in getting a heating pad for their fido should consider essential features before buying or picking out anything.
Let’s start with size. With numerous heating pad products out there, you’ll be able to find one that’s right for your pet. It may be tricky to find a warming mat of large and giant dogs, but there are pads that you can safely place on her dog bed.
Even if she’s bigger than the heating mat, it will still be helpful in providing her the warmth she needs.
You also have to decide on heating methods. We mentioned the kinds of warming pads, but the majority of them need to be plugged into an outlet to function. Aside from electric heating mats, there are also smaller ones that are microwaveable.
If you’re going for an electric model, choose one that has a control panel or setting that lets you see and switch the temperature. It’s crucial for these pads to have a limit on how hot they can get. We wouldn’t want our fur angels overheating or getting scalded.
Heat temperature isn’t only the safety feature that you should be worried about.
It’s best to opt for those warming mats that have chew-proof cables, where some even have a durable casing. If you don’t like the hassle of plugging and unplugging the mat all the time, you can choose a product that automatically shuts off when your dog isn’t laying on it.
Good quality dog heating pads even have covers that are flame-retardant.
And last but not least, you’d want a pet warming wat that’s easy to clean. Electric heating pads have removable covers or outer parts that you can wash.
Top-rated heating pads for dogs
Here are the high-ranking warming mats for dogs that are worthy of being considered by current and potential pet owners alike.
The options we included here will inform you of the products’ features and important factors that any owner should know.
Top Heating Pads Picks
This warming mat from Riogoo is ideal for dogs who are experiencing joint issues like arthritis, illnesses or recuperating from injuries. It’s also suited for keeping other pets and newborn puppies warm and cozy.
Its fabric material is waterproof and versatile and comes with a pretty cover design.
- Automatic power-off function
- Adjustable temperature
- Water-resistant material
- For indoor use only
- There are reviewers who complained about the mat doesn’t get hot enough
While some heating pads differ in types, this electric pet warmer can be used indoors and outdoors. You can let your dog use it on its own, or place it in her kennel, dog house, or crate to warm up her personal place. Just make sure that it’s under a covered area where it wouldn’t get wet.
Another beneficial feature is the temperature control to ensure safety. It will help in keeping your pooch from overheating. There’s also an auto-power off function! Having this will give that peace of mind that you haven’t forgotten to unplug it.
During your search for dog heating pads, you may have noticed that the K&H brand keeps appearing. It’s because it’s one of the most popular manufacturers of warming mats for pets.
Whether your canine has a doggy house in the backyard or she just loves spending time out there, this is a great choice. It’s designed to be used in covered patios and other sheltered areas like garages and barns.
- A chew-proof cable that’s wrapped with steel
- Comfy material with easy-to-clean cover
- Might not be able to withstand destructive pets
- Some paw parents said they don’t heat up enough and the product isn’t soft
Not only does it provide your dog the extra warmth she needs, but it also has an orthopedic foam for added comfort. It conforms to your pet’s body contours, which makes it ideal for those who suffer from joint problems.
That comfy padding comes with a fleece cover for easier cleaning. It’s also made with PVC material, so it’s resistant to moisture, and it’s highly durable.
A little tip, to lessen the time that you need to wash this warming pad, wipe it before every use, and it’s good to go.
Have your dog racing to this warming mat after a walk in the morning, and it’s cold or when it’s time for a nap!
If you go for the largest size, it will work for bigger dogs or two small-sized breeds. As with any heating pads, this will help provide warmth and relaxation to senior canines, newborn pups, arthritic pets, pregnant female pooches, or those recovering from an illnes
- Chew-resistant cord
- As per the reviews, some pets were able to chew or destroy the mat
- Others say the product doesn’t last long
Like the previous warming mat, this one offers an option to select a temperature to get that optimal comfort and a timer.
Are you worried about your pet chewing the electric cable? You can relax with this one, thanks to the metal chew-resistant cord. It’s moisture- and waterproof. From time to time, you can just wipe the pad, but with multiple-use and you need to wash it, just remove the cover.
Since it’s only available in one size, this is an excellent treat for small canine and feline friends alike. Instead of using technology, it captures your dog’s heat and radiates that warmth back to her. As long as your pet is laying on it, it will just keep on providing heat.
- Plush and soft surface
- Machine washable
- Lightweight and portable designed, perfect for travel
- Has a crinkly sound that some pets might not like
- Others say the product isn’t soft and hot enough
If you like traveling with your dog, the ThermanNAP is lightweight and has a portable design. The plush surface is comfy and feels plush, and you can find it in every color. Plus, you can easily clean it if needed because it’s machine-washable.
This may all sound simple, but sometimes, that is good! You can place it anywhere and just let your pet use it.
If you have multiple four-legged friends, try to get them a heating mat of their own so that they won’t fight for one, and they can all relax on their own.
Another self-warming mat is brought to us by Frisco. Recommended for small and medium-sized breeds, you can choose between two sizes, a 24-inch, and a 30-inch.
Let your pup or kitty warm up naturally without the hassle of wires and plugs. You can also place it on your pet’s bed, crate, or dog house.
- Can easily be cleaned and washed with a machine
- Provides support and it’s comfy
- Lightweight and portable design, perfect for travel
- Makes a subtle crinkly sound
- Doesn’t have a removable cover
It may be comfortable to use and machine washable, but this one’s not intended to be resistant from chewing. If you notice that there’s any damage or it is torn, don’t use it anymore.
Other than that, it’s a straightforward product that seems to make owners and the pets happy!
Other dog heating pads that you should consider
To make sure that you have more options to look at during your search for the best heating pads for dogs, we added a few more products that are worth checking out!
Though they didn’t make it within the top 5 rated warming mats list, each of them has something to offer. They have their own features with a common goal of providing warmth for our loving pets.
Indoor dog heating pads
Another indoor dog warmer is from AILEEPET. If you didn’t like any of the products on our top 5, we recommend you to go for this. One of the top features that people liked about this mat is the automatic timer.
Just remember it’s an electric heating pad, so you have to follow instructions carefully.
- Waterproof and easy to clean
- Has an auto power-off function
- It didn’t heat up even with a high setting, as per some pet owners
Suitable for dogs who are on the small or medium scale, this indoor thermal mat will surely be a great warmer for puppies, seniors, and ill pets.
Be careful about putting blankets on top of the mat. An owner said it traps the heat, then the temperature soars which could burn your pet.
- Temperature control with automatic power-off function
- The cord has a silicone protective cover
- Waterproof mat
- Heats up quickly, so you have to adjust the temperature before letting your dog lay on the mat
Zobire’s thermal mat can be used for all kinds of pets who’d need to stay warm. Though the fleece cover is washable, you can easily wipe off stains with a rag.
- MET Labs certified
- Chew-resistant cord
- Removable and washable soft fleece cover
- Based on some reviews, the mat is way smaller than the size advertised
- The cord can be chewed off from the mat
- The product doesn’t always get warm
Whether you choose the medium or large size of this indoor pad, it can provide the warmth that your pet needs.
- Has a 7-level temperature adjustment controller
- Waterproof and chew-resistant cord
- Comes with a comfy removable cover
- There are owners who complained about that the product picture and size is deceiving
- Takes too long or doesn’t get warm
Most warming mats that need to be plugged in have a temperature control box, but this one has an automatic thermostat that’s built-in.
- Waterproof and washable cover
- Dual resistant cord
- Built-in fire retardant cotton
- There are buyers of the product that said the cord wouldn’t stand up to canine who loves to chew things
- There’s only a blanket separating your pet and the mat, which may get too hot for her on contact
Outdoor dog heating pads
As per the name, it’s designed for kennel use, but in fact, it can be used anywhere outside as long as it’s a covered area. You can either set it down on the floor or the wall.
- Removable and washable cover
- Steel-wrapped cord
- Thermostat controller
- It may take some time for the mat to heat up
- Some say the mat is quite flimsy
This heating pad will warm to your dog’s body temperature while she lay on a comfortable fleece cover.
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
- Available in three sizes
- The cord has an anti-chew protector
- As most heating pads can be used on any surface, this one is recommended to be placed on concrete due to safety reasons
With its waterproof design, you can use this warming mat indoors and outdoors! You can also use it inside dog crates and doghouses.
- Suitable for all pets, not just large dogs
- Temperature control with automatic shut-off function
- Other paw parents aren’t satisfied with the heat and size
- Not washable
This electric thermal mat can also be used outside the house, as long as it’s a covered area. The product is made of 7 layers of protective structure to prevent getting your pet burned.
- Has temperature control and timer
- Waterproof and flame retardant
- The cord has dual resistant protection
- Other owners say that the heat isn’t distributed equally on the mat
- The mat isn’t chew-resistant
Product-buyers love this warming mat as it’s safe, doesn’t use a lot of electricity, and it will provide the heat your dog needs to stay cozy without overheating. Nap times outdoors are just more relaxing than ever!
- Comes with two flannel cloth covers that are washable
- Stainless steel, bite-proof hose
- Built-in foam that’s fire-retardant
- It might be too hot for some pets (small ones) that they wouldn’t lay on it
Self-warming dog mats
The sherpa fleece of this self-warming pad retains the heat that the thermo-reflective core got from your dog’s body.
- Has an easy to remove and washable cover
- Non-slip base
- Can be used anywhere
- Product has a crinkly sound and a texture that some pets may not like
Your furry pet will have trouble resisting this warming mat with a soft microfleece cover. While some pads will have you confused on which side is the top, this one is double-sided, all you have to do is decide on which color you like on top.
- Different color options
- Machine washable
- Slit-corners to fit any crate size
- Other pets don’t like the crinkly sound, while some may think it’s a chew toy
- Some received a very thin product which does not work or reflect heat
Since this self-heating mat is available in different sizes, you’d surely find one that suits your doggo!
- Thermal insulation for radiating heat
- Eliminates the need for electricity
- Fleece exterior that’s washable
- Though it may look simple, some buyers think it’s too thin
- Be careful of washing instructions. It should be washed separately, and you can’t tumble dry it.
Aside from providing a cozy spot for your pet, you won’t have to worry about a plug or batteries, and this warming mat is a good choice for home and travel use!
- A machine-washable outer cover
- No need for electricity
- lightweight and portable
- Some buyers said it doesn’t heat up that much
- Makes crinkly sound
Despite the catty, leopard print, this self-warming pad is designed for all pets. Some discovered that owners could use it for themselves!
- Has a loop for hanging to dry or when not in use
- Soft and stylish
- Has a subtle crinkly sound
If you’re looking for a self-warming mat that you can take whenever you travel with your dog, this one can be easily rolled or folded. The inner layer has thick batting that harnesses warmth from your pet and uses it to keep her warm while she’s using it.
- Great for travel
- Easy to clean
- Can be used indoors and outdoors (shaded areas)
- Not machine washable
- Not recommended for chewers
- One size only
Microwavable dog heating pads
Place this under your pet’s doggy bed, or maybe under her favorite pillow or blanket. It can provide eight to twelve hours of warmth.
- The cover is durable and made of neoprene
- Can be hand-washed easily
- Non-toxic and simple to use
- One product buyer gave a review that their microwave caught fire after a week of daily use
- Takes longer to heat up compared to the advertised 4 to 5 minutes.
This microwave heat pad will give any small pet a safe and soothing warmth for up to 10 hours. Plus, the plate-size design is so cute! If you have a bigger fur baby, just slip it under her bed.
- Non-electrical, meaning no need to worry about chewed on or tangled wires
- Can also be used by owners
- Quick and easy to use
- Overheating may lead to a deformed pad
- Some reviewers complained about leakage and the product exploding inside the microwave
Give this warming cushion to your pet. It provides warmth for up to 8 hours, and then it will gradually cool off for a cozy sleep.
- Soft fleece liner that’s comfy, removable, and washable
- Quickly heat it up and place into your dog’s favorite spot
- You have to get the product really hot, then wrap it in a blanket so that the warmth lasts longer
Do you have a pet who feels better when they have a plushy companion? Give this dog warmer to her, and she’ll have the perfect buddy who’ll serve as a stress relief while providing warmth. It’s filled with all-natural grain, and it’s fully microwavable.
- Can be used as a heated plush and as an ice compress
- Has a relaxing Lavender aroma
- Soft and plush friend for your fido
- The product can become unsewn, which may lead the grains to spill
This pad is filled with a gel that’s safe to be cooled in the refrigerator or heated in the microwave. It can be flexible to what your dog needs.
- Dual-purpose – cooling and heating pad
- Soft fleece cover
- Easy to remove cover and can be easily washed
- It may lose heat quickly
- The instructions say to flip the product after every 30 seconds of heating it, and then it may turn very hot as there’s no indication or warning of temperature and how long to microwave it
Heated blankets for dogs
Does your dog love being curled up like a burrito? Get her this thermal throw that uses your fido’s heat to keep her toasty warm. And she can choose whether she prefers the fleece cover or a soft, sherpa fabric on her fur.
- Sizes available from small to extra large, with different color options
- Electricity free
- A waterproof interior coating that protects surfaces and furniture from accidents and spills
- Not recommended for excessive chewers or teething pups
- Might have a crinkly sound
If you like a heated blanket that you can also use, go for Tefici’s. This is perfect for those owners who love snuggling with their fur baby in bed.
- Automatic off function
- Fast heating and 3-heat setting
- Detachable controller so you can machine-wash the blanket
- There are reviewers complaining about the blanket shutting off whenever they move
- Certain areas of the sheet can get too hot
- Soft and fluffy flannel fleece fabric
- Six heat and eight time settings
- Automatic shut-off function
- Shuts off when you or your pet moves
- Doesn’t heat up entirely or doesn’t get warm enough
Dog bed warmers instead of heating pads
It’s possible that some canines would always prefer their favorite doggy bed instead of a new mat, even if it provides warmth. Here are some options that you can slip under her bedding so you can still keep her from getting cold.
You can place this K&H warmer in any pet bed, all you have to do is plug it in! For safety, the product will only heat up when it’s inside your dog’s bed. Don’t forget to provide your canine friend an option to rest off the pad or on it.
- Thermostatically controlled
- Available in different sizes
- Designed for indoor use only
- There are pet owners who found the model to have a smell and not heating enough
- Can be used on any type of pet bed
- 6-inch cord that’s chew resistant
- One size only
- Doesn’t get warm enough
- For indoor use only
The right product + your love = the perfect warmth for your dog
Dog heating products have a lot of benefits for canines of all ages and sizes. They can also be used in different locations and various ways. Some of them are so versatile that owners even benefit from it!
By prioritizing what your dog needs and knowing what she likes and doesn’t like, will lead you to find the best dog heating pad for her.
Whether it’s just to keep warm during the cold season or to ease muscle and joint pains, giving your fur baby a warming mat will provide ease, comfort, as well as happiness for your four-legged friend.
There’s no such thing as perfect (aside from our little doggos), but when you follow instructions carefully and with proper use, you’ll get your money’s worth.
Were we able to include your favorite heating pad? Did we miss one that you’d recommend to other paw parents? Help a fellow pet owner and share it all by commenting below!
Leave a Reply