Last Updated on
- The following protocol is extracted from the Proceedings of the Society for Theriogenology, August 11, 1990. CANINE PREGNANCY TERMINATION WITH PROSTAGLANDIN F2 ALPHA, Shirley D. Johnston,DVM,PhD, pages 264 ff.
It is essentially the same as a protocol published in SMALL ANIMAL REPRODUCTION AND INFERTILITY, Thomas J. Burke,DVM Ed., 1986. I have used this method of pregnancy termination (in bitches palpated in whelp at 28 days) over several years with complete success, and consider it to be the safest abortion alternative for the bitch.
- Prostaglandin product: Prostin F2 alpha (Lutalyse, Pharmacia & Upjohn)
- Dose: 250 micrograms/kilogram – sub cutaneous – bid for 5 days
- This modified protocol is equally successful and has fewer side effects: give 1/2 the above dose for day 1 and 2, then the full dose for 3 or 4 more days (total of 5 to 6 days). If the bitch tolerates the half dose with very little discomfort, I procede to the full dose on day two and dose for a total of 5 days. If there is moderate discomfort at the initial dose, I continue for the full 2 days at the lower dose and then go to the higher dose, but treat for 6 days. Regardless of the protocol – the original or modified one – discomfort and side effects normally decrease throughout the treatment. Side effects may occur as early as 3 or 4 minutes after injection; we recommend that the owner walk the dog outdoors whenever possible, or staff does, for 10 to 15 minutes or until side effects diminish. We check the heart rate between 5 and 10 minutes after the injection.
- Palpate at one week – if uncertain, do a progesterone to be sure that it is below 2 nanograms.
- Check heart rate 1st day and upon increasing dose.
NOTE: treatment is given after the fifth week of pregnancy. Do not expect to see any fluid or other material expelled. Side effects are mild with the lower initial dose. Side effects may include salivation, vomition, diarrhea. Most have fewer side effects on an empty stomach.